M05. Example of a Meme. The 10 Commandments.
The Meme was first proposed by Richard Dawkins around 1980, in his book "The Selfish Gene". His definition was that a meme was a self replicating unit of thought. This was probably triggered by the Legend of the Hundredth Monkey. The meme has since passed into the English Language and Twitter on the Internet
To some people, the 10 commandments are a good basis for morality, to be amended as necessity dictates. Thus it is not a meme. It is the word of God to some people and must never be violated, and thus due to religious brainwashing it is a meme. As the 10 Commandments are politically correct, they must be a meme. Ideally for a meme to work, it must be in the subconscious and hidden from conscious thought. While the 10 commandments are not the best example, they are the best example that everyone knows. On second thoughts, as they are known to 3 billion people, it may be a better meme than we credit. The structure is as follows:-
When a meme is completely hidden from conscious thought, then any violation leads to the guilt of sin. The victim does not know what he has violated, which confuses him no end. Priests make money by giving the wrong answers. They do not know the right answers themselves. As most of orthodox religion is based on memes, it is little wonder that there is an abundance of original sin. The 11th Commandment (Thou shalt not be found out) is crucial for the survival of memes.
- MASTER or OWNER. Jehovah.
- IDENTITY. The Ten Commandments.
- CONTROL and PROGRAMMING.
- I am the Lord thy God. Thou shalt have no other God before me.
- Thou shalt not make unto thee any craven image.
- Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord in vain.
- Remember the Sabbath day and keep it holy.
- Honour thy father and thy mother.
- Thou shalt not kill.
- Thou shalt not commit adultery.
- Thou shalt not steal.
- Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.
- Thou shalt not covet.
- ADVERTISING and DISTRIBUTION. You had better spread the word in case your neighbour is not so inhibited. Be on the glamorous winning side of self righteousness..
- DEFENCE and RETRIBUTION. The vengeance of Jehovah. The Guilt from Sin.
- SLAVES. Every Jew, Christian and Moslem.
- PAIN. Add in the mechanics of brain washing as appropriate to the situation.
NB. There are as many versions of the 10 commandments as there are translators and writers. There is also doubt as to the exact number.
© Edmund Meadows, as part of the Viking Spiritual Remote Viewing (first Internet edition), ISBN No 0 9524450 50, July 2001.
© Edmund Meadows, as part of the Viking Remote Viewing (Eighth Internet edition), ISBN No 0 9524450 42, February 2001.